Sunday, May 16, 2010

Vigil Honor

I became an Ordeal and Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow as a teen. My ordeal was at Storer Scout Reservation and my Brotherhood at Camp Sayre. As you can well imagine, I was already very active in Scouting and appreciated the opportunity to increase my contribution to the program I love so deeply. I served as Vice Chief of Program for a couple years and enjoyed the occasion to provide OA programs at Summer camp, run fellowship weekends, and organize the annual lodge recognition dinner.

However, as I went to college my time for Scouting was reduced to planning and working at summer camp. My lodge activities were confined to work weekends, which always provided a great chance to catch up with friends and get ready for camp.

Suffice to say after college I made my career in Scouting and people began to assume I had already kept my vigil. (I was never one to wear too many badges or sashes) So, fast forward to last year when the Unami lodge advisor made a comment about vigil ceremony to which I replied, “I have no idea - I’m brotherhood.” He wasted no time, and at the next opportunity sponsored me as a vigil candidate.

I just returned from my Vigil weekend. I will not go into the details of the experience except to say that I have an even deeper respect for my brothers at Unami Lodge #1. It’s one thing to be the “number 2 guy” in the council and attend work weekends, sit in the background during lodge meetings, discuss camp properties and program plans with key lodge leaders, but it is entirely another thing to be a participant in such a wonderfully, moving powerful and inspirational ceremony and service weekend. The young men who run Unami have always impressed me - yet over the weekend these impressive young men provided this life long Scouter with an extraordinary experience.

I have keep my vigil at Resica Falls, and I will bring my renewed enthusiasm and dedication back to Moswetuset Lodge. See you at the Conclave.

Tutaam Nihillalatschik
One who inspires all
Supreme Chief of the Fire

I hope this makes sense I’m pretty tired ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment